When the Diocese of Concorida (now Salina) was established on August 2, 1887, Our Lady of Perpetual Help Church became the Cathedral for the Diocese. The Church had been built under the direction of Father Louis M. Mollier and had first been used for services in 1879. A rectory was completed in 1882 and a school, staffed by lay teachers, opened in 1883. The first bishop, Bishop Richard Scannell, arrived in December of 1887.
In the early 1900's the Church was considerably enlarged and is an example of the use of both post rock and Cloud County shell rock. This Church continued to serve as the Cathedral for the Diocese until the Diocesan See was transferred to Salina in April of 1945. A high school was opened in 1944 on East 7th Street. In 1962 a new high school, Notre Dame, was completed. It continued in operation until 1968. From 1969 to 1971 this building served as the grade school. The grade school was closed in 1971. The school building on East 5th Street was retained as a parish hall and Religious Education Center.
In 1994, after 121 years of faith sharing, St. Mary's Parish of Jamestown was closed. These parishioners now share their faith and gifts with the Concordia Catholic Community. At present there are approximately 450 families/households. The OLPH Catholic Community also includes students attending Cloud County Community College and residents in five health care centers.
The Church has been extensively remodeled several times over the years. The latest being after Vatican II to update in design in keeping with the modern liturgy needs. The 100 year-old rectory was replaced in 1992 with a new home located at 420 Kansas. A new parish hall was built and attached to the Church in 1996.