Greetings my dear friends,
“Jesus, full of the Holy Spirit, returned from the Jordan, and was led by the Spirit for forty days in the wilderness...” Luke 4:1-2
The pillars of Lent that we heard about on Ash Wednesday are: Prayer, Fasting, and Almsgiving. These are pillars that we can live the rest of the year as well, not just during Lent.
As the Lenten resource says, “In prayer, we turn to God, listen to his voice, and let him fill our hearts and guide us. During Lent, our prayer takes on a special tone: we are especially aware of our sins. We are attentive to Jesus, the suffering servant. We join in prayer for candidates and catechumens, and we pray for our own deeper conversion to the Lord.”
Here are some helpful ideas for how to live the pillar of prayer:
- Celebrate the Sacrament of Reconciliation (Communal Penance Services- March 19- OLPH- 3:00pm; Clyde- 5:00pm; March 26- Belleville- 3:00pm).
- Attend Mass during the week.
- Pray the Liturgy of the Hours.
- Participate in a Bible study or other offering. Use daily Catholic devotionals.
- Pray the Stations of the Cross.
- Pray the Rosary.
- Spend time in Eucharistic Adoration.
- Do extra spiritual reading.
These are just a few of the listings that are available. Perhaps there are other things that you do as well to grow prayerfully and spiritually. This is a wonderful time for us to grow in our faith and spirituality. Let us make the most of this time so that what we do prayerfully during Lent will carry us through our journey in the desert and beyond.